Artists and creatives, have the chance of getting a grant of up to 30000€ to collaborate with a Tech Project and produce an original artwork based on its technology!
During a STARTS Residency, Artists will work with Tech Projects on novel approaches to their technologies and will produce an original artwork. As a contribution to their involvement in the residency programme, selected Artists will directly receive a grant of up to 30 000€.
The Call for Artists runs from September 7, 2018 to November 19, 2018.
Who can apply?
The call is open to experienced artists of any artistic field and of any nationality. An Artist must be a physical person and will be the author of the artwork produced in the framework of the residency. Several artists can apply as a collective, however they should define a team leader who will create an account and apply to the call. In this situation, the application should make reference to the different involved artists and document their respective bios and portfolios.
How to apply?
Artists select a Tech Project from the list of available projects. Artists can apply alone, with a producer of their choice, or with a producer from the list of available producers. Together, they submit an artistic proposal mentioning the grant category. An Artist can only apply to one Tech Project.
What are the Selection Criteria?
An international jury will select the laureates and the results will be announced during the STARTS Residencies event at Centre Pompidou in February 2019. The following criteria for selection will be applied:
- Artistic quality: Based both on previous works by artist (selected portfolio) and on the originality of targeted artistic work and developed vision in relation to the Tech Project’s technology.
- Art-science congruence: Synergy between the tech project and artistic thematic and methodological approaches.
- Innovation potential: Originality and novelty of presented ideas.
- Technical approach: Quality and consistency of the technical design, technical knowledge of the artist, hosting infrastructure, quality of the producer (if applicable).
- Implementation: Quality of the work plan (process, schedule, milestones, specification of respective roles and proposed collaboration framework), relevance of consolidated budget with targeted actions.
What is an artistic proposal ?
An artistic proposal is made up of 3 parts.
The first part is dedicated to the artistic proposal, i.e. the presentation of the residency project linked to the tech project, made of:
- The concept of the targeted artwork and contribution to the innovation challenges of the tech project
- The justification of the novelty of the process proposed
- The technical approach
- The implementation work plan of the residency
- The consolidated budget
The second part is dedicated to the artist:
- Personal information
- Motivation Letter
- Video or presentation of prior work
- Short amateur video of the artist presenting the residency project
The third part is dedicated to the producer (if applicable):
- Producer’s information
- Description of the organization
- Presentation of the Producer’s offer
How to choose the amount of the grant?
The applying Artist must choose between two categories of grant:
- Category 1 concerns grants of up to 15 000€. The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) shall be between 3 to 6 months. Resulting artworks may be in the form of sketches or prototypes but ready for public exposure in cultural venues and preferably in the form of achieved works.
- Category 2 concerns grants of up to 30 000€ (which make up less than one third of total grants). The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) shall be between 3 to 9 months. Resulting achieved artworks must be ready for public exposure in cultural venues with their fully functional setup.
Less than one third of the grants will be attributed to Category 2 residencies. Applicants may opt to apply to Category 2 while accepting to be downgraded to Category 1 by the selection jury; in that case, they shall present a budget detailing both possibilities.