STARTS Residencies Call 3
The results will be announced March 27, during the STARTS Residencies Days at the Centre Pompidou. They will be published on the website the same day.
creatives, have the chance of getting a grant of up to 30000€ to collaborate with a Tech Project and produce an original artwork based on its technology!
During a STARTS Residency, Artists will work with Tech Projects on novel approaches to their technologies and will produce an original artwork. As a contribution to their involvement in the residency programme, selected Artists will directly receive a grant of up to 30 000€.
The Call for Artists runs from September 10,
2018 to November 28, 2018 (deadline extended).
Who can apply?
The call is open to experienced artists of any artistic field and of any nationality. An Artist must be a physical person and will be the author of the artwork produced in the framework of the residency. Several artists can apply as a collective,
How to apply?
Artists select a Tech Project from the list of available projects (a first list will be published September 10 and updated until the end of the call for Tech Project - October 31). Artists can apply alone, with a producer of their choice, or with a producer from the list of available producers. Together, they submit an artistic proposal mentioning the grant category. An Artist can only apply to one Tech Project.
What are the Selection Criteria?
An international jury will select the laureates and the results will be announced during the STARTS Residencies event at Centre Pompidou in March 2019. The following criteria for selection will be applied:
- Artistic quality: Based both on previous works by
artist(selected portfolio) and on the originality of targeted artistic work and developed vision in relation to the Tech Project’s technology.
- Art-science congruence: Synergy between the tech project and artistic thematic and methodological approaches.
- Innovation potential: Originality and novelty of presented ideas.
- Technical approach: Quality and consistency of the technical design, technical knowledge of the artist, hosting infrastructure, quality of the producer (if applicable).
- Implementation: Quality of the work plan (process, schedule, milestones,
specificationof respective roles and proposed collaboration framework), relevanceof consolidated budget with targeted actions.
What is an artistic
An artistic proposal is made up of 3 parts.
The first part is dedicated to the artistic proposal, i.e. the presentation of the residency project linked to the tech project, made of:
- The concept of the targeted artwork and contribution to the innovation challenges of the tech project
- The justification of the novelty of the process proposed
- The technical approach
- The implementation work plan of the residency
- The consolidated budget
The second part is dedicated to the artist:
- Personal information
- Motivation Letter
- Video or presentation of prior work
- Short amateur video of the artist presenting the residency project
The third part is dedicated to the producer (if applicable):
- Producer’s information
- Description of the organization
- Presentation of the Producer’s offer
How to choose the amount of the grant?
The applying Artist must choose between two categories of grant:
- Category 1 concerns grants of up to 15 000€. The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) shall be between 3 to 6 months. Resulting artworks may be in the form of sketches or prototypes but ready for public exposure in cultural venues and preferably in the form of achieved works.
- Category 2 concerns grants of up to 30 000€ (which make up less than
one thirdof total grants). The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) shall be between 3 to 9 months. Resulting achieved artworks must be ready for public exposure in cultural venues with their fully functional setup.
The results will be announced March 28, during the STARTS Residencies Days at the Centre Pompidou. They will be published on the website the same day.
The call for Tech Projects is now closed.
Artists are likely to develop visions for technology that are different from researchers or engineers. Through co-creation, they can inspire new ways of thinking for tech projects developing new technologies.
STARTS Residencies encourage Tech Projects to host artists to boost the innovation potential of any technology. By thinking “out of the box”, artists can expand technological boundaries, develop unexpected use-cases, produce new prototypes, provide additional knowledge and stimulate groundbreaking processes. A Residency lasts between 3 and 9 months and the artists are funded by the STARTS Residencies programme.
Coordinators of any Tech Project or partners with the consent of the project
What are the requirements?
A Tech Project is a collaborative project between institutions or an internal project in a research centre or company. Each Tech Project applying for a STARTS Residency may be funded through public European or national programmes or through private funds. It is compulsory that the Tech Project applying for a STARTS Residency is running during the period of the residency (which may occur between March 2019 and March 2020).
It is also expected that Tech Projects:
- Are developing
an innovativetechnology at a state-of-the-art level in an emerging field (e.g. smart cities, wearables, open data, internet of things, cloud computing, eHealth, virtual reality, etc.).
- Are located in one or several countries of the European Union.
- Are prepared to give the artist access to technologies developed by the project.
- Aim at positive change and advancement for society or economy.
- Are fully committed to
integratethe artist into the project and the team through a co-creation process.
Support art and technology collaboration!
- Be in contact and collaborate with
tech projects and artists. high level
- Promote your production means both for technological innovation and artistic production and benefit from STARTS Residencies dissemination channels
- Expose the resulting artwork to your public.
The production of an
The Producer hosts and/or brings additional means to the residency and facilitates the co-creation process. The Producers express their interest in supporting a STARTS residency by joining the list of available producers. During the call for artists, they might be contacted by artists to elaborate a joint artistic proposal. They can also join an existing residency team.