Are you an artist or creative? Have the chance of getting a grant of up to 30.000€ for collaborating with an R&D ICT-Project and producing an original artwork based on its technology!
The call is open to artists willing to collaborate with partners of an R&D ICT-Project in order to develop, in particular through the production of an original artwork based on its technology, a fresh approach to its innovation challenges.
The application platform will open on January 10th and will close on March
- Choose the R&D ICT-Project you want to collaborate with from a list of available projects;
- Present your artistic work including your bio and selected works;
- Describe the artwork you propose to produce for the selected R&D ICT-Project and its production
- Should you need additional resources other than those provided by the
grant or/and by the R&D ICT-Project, you may apply with a third-party (Producer) committed to support your artistic production. The arrangements must be agreed in advance between the Artist and the Producer so that they apply together to the residency call. A starting list of institutions open to collaborateas Producers with artists will be provided soon. This list is not exhaustive: artists may apply with a Producer of their choice not present in the list.
- An international and interdisciplinary jury will review the applications received. The announcement of laureate residencies will be made in June 2018.
- All parties involved in a selected residency will sign a co-production contract.
- Residencies will start from September 2018 and their process will be followed by a VERTIGO partner.
- Upon completion, VERTIGO will contribute to the public exposure of the produced artworks and other residencies’ outcomes through its dissemination channels, including the vertigo.starts.
euonline platform, a yearly public event at Centre Pompidou and the Network of Artistic Correspondents.
The call is open to experienced artists of any artistic field and of any nationality. The only constraint is that the applicant is a physical person and will be the author of the artwork produced in the framework of the residency.
Create an account on http://www.ulysses-network.eu/. After creating your profile, create your application for “Vertigo –Artistic Residency Program Call 2018” via the “Your Application” panel. You can save your application as a draft before the submission deadline. The system will warn of any incomplete material before the final submission. Content in your profile can be used for several applications.
- The English language is mandatory for the application.
- The application procedure is strictly online. No material through mail or post will be considered.
- The submission deadline will close automatically on March 2nd 2018 (15:00 CET). No exceptions will be granted.
- If you are interested in several R&D ICT-Projects, you must submit one application per project.
- Any application not complying with these rules will be rejected. Authors are responsible for the application content and its verification.
- The application form contains both private and public sections. Before selection, they will be handled as confidential and accessed only by participants in VERTIGO and by reviewers and jury members appointed by VERTIGO. For selected applications only, public information will be published by VERTIGO through its dissemination channels.
The selection jury will apply the following criteria:
- Artistic quality: based both on previous works by artist (selected portfolio) and on the originality of targeted artistic work and developed vision in relation to the R&D ICT-Project technology.
- Art-science congruency: synergy between the R&D ICT-Project and artistic thematic and methodological approaches.
- Innovation potential: Originality and novelty of presented ideas.
- Technical approach: Quality and consistency of the technical design, technical knowledge of the artist, hosting infrastructure, quality of the Producer.
- Implementation: Quality of the workplan (process, schedule, milestones, specification of respective roles and proposed collaboration framework), relevance of consolidated budget with targeted actions.
The VERTIGO grant will be paid directly to the Artist as a commission for producing the artwork. The artwork will remain the property of the Artist, but in exchange the Artist will enable its partners in this process (VERTIGO, the R&D ICT-Project, the Producer) to present and disseminate the produced artwork and its public documentation through their dissemination channels.
The Artist shall choose between two categories of grant:
- Category 1 concerns grants not exceeding 15.000€. The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) shall be between 3 to 6 months. Resulting artworks may be in the form of sketches or prototypes but ready for public exposure in cultural venues and preferably in the form of achieved works.
- Category 2 concerns grants not exceeding 30.000€. The cumulated duration of the artistic work (possibly split in several periods) may exceed 6 months. Resulting achieved artworks must be ready for public exposure in cultural venues with their fully functional setup.
The residencies of Category 2 will be reserved to the largest production projects involving recognized artists. Applicants may choose to apply only to Category 2 but with fewer chances of selection. They may also opt to apply to Category 2 while accepting to be downgraded to Category 1 by the jury; in that case, they shall present a budget detailing both possibilities.